Ask stupid questions and you'll get a stupid answers, was: Technological advantages over Linux

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 10:42:24 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 6:31 AM Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 05:18:13 -0400, Aryeh Friedman stated:

> >> posters
> >>
> >> A completely acceptable answer.
> >>
> >> What is not acceptable, is, converting the mailbox of each of the
> >> (hundreds? thouthands?) members of the list into a chat room for
> >> small talk.
> >>
> >> For small talk is more appropriate the mentioned
> >>

> >Not according to the handbook's description of each list:
> >
> >-questions@: User questions and technical support
> >-chat@: Non-technical items related to the FreeBSD community
> >
> >The questions being asked were by a user of FreeBSD and were technical
> >in nature (the technical merits of FreeBSD vs. Linux).   Here are the
> >other possible lists and by their descriptions none of them made sense
> >for the subject matter of the OP's post:
> >
> >-advocacy@: FreeBSD Evangelism (the OP was not asking how to market
> >FreeBSD just defend it on technical grounds to upper management of
> >their org) -women@: Victor is not a very female name (enough said)
> >
> >There is no -smalltalk@ list and even if there was it would be a
> >misleading name since there is a programming language by that name.
> >
> >So the bottom line is @questions- is the best (and only) place for such
> >threads.   If you want a new group, suggest one to the owners of the
> >freebsd mailing lists and see if you can make one.
> >
> >or the web forum
> >>
> >> https://forums.freebsd.org
> >

> >The handbook says mailing lists are the prefered way to communicate
> >about FreeBSD so suggesting the forum is pointless if you want to get
> >the widest possible input.  To quote "The mailing lists are the most
> >direct way of addressing questions or opening a technical discussion
> >to a concentrated FreeBSD audience."
>
> In keeping with my 'KISS' principal, why not simply start a new list,
> appropriately titled: "FreeBSD vs. Linux". In order to insure a viable
> user base, follow the same procedure as the the regular FreeBSD
> questions list and allow postings sans any preregistration.

I am not the one suggesting it (please stop putting words in my mouth) it
is the person I was replying to that suggested it.

> I belong to other forums where a similar technique is used to route
> messages to the appropriate message board. I assume it is
> technologically possible to implement that on FreeBSD. I know Linux and
> Microsoft boards that employ that procedure. :)

Would require AI to do that right and AI is more often wrong then it is
right in it's guesses on fuzzy stuff like topic of messages.   So this
certainly does not keep with your so proclaimed love of "KISS" (despite the
fact that every suggestion you have made in this entire thread is anything
but "simple").