Ask stupid questions and you'll get a stupid answers, was: Technological advantages over Linux

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Mon Jul 27 10:30:49 UTC 2020

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 05:18:13 -0400, Aryeh Friedman stated:
>On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 4:50 AM Roderick <hruodr at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, 27 Jul 2020, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>>
>> > All this being said there is a rash of *SOME* of the regular set
>> > of
>> posters
>> > who say "FreeBSD is not designed for XYZ, don't use it for XYZ use
>> > Linux instead" (this is not helpful and is nothing but being a
>> > troll).
>>
>> A completely acceptable answer.
>>
>> What is not acceptable, is, converting the mailbox of each of the
>> (hundreds? thouthands?) members of the list into a chat room for
>> small talk.
>>
>> For small talk is more appropriate the mentioned
>>

>Not according to the handbook's description of each list:
>
>-questions@: User questions and technical support
>-chat@: Non-technical items related to the FreeBSD community
>
>The questions being asked were by a user of FreeBSD and were technical
>in nature (the technical merits of FreeBSD vs. Linux).   Here are the
>other possible lists and by their descriptions none of them made sense
>for the subject matter of the OP's post:
>
>-advocacy@: FreeBSD Evangelism (the OP was not asking how to market
>FreeBSD just defend it on technical grounds to upper management of
>their org) -women@: Victor is not a very female name (enough said)
>
>There is no -smalltalk@ list and even if there was it would be a
>misleading name since there is a programming language by that name.
>
>So the bottom line is @questions- is the best (and only) place for such
>threads.   If you want a new group, suggest one to the owners of the
>freebsd mailing lists and see if you can make one.
>
>or the web forum
>>
>> https://forums.freebsd.org
>

>The handbook says mailing lists are the prefered way to communicate
>about FreeBSD so suggesting the forum is pointless if you want to get
>the widest possible input.  To quote "The mailing lists are the most
>direct way of addressing questions or opening a technical discussion
>to a concentrated FreeBSD audience."

In keeping with my 'KISS' principal, why not simply start a new list,
appropriately titled: "FreeBSD vs. Linux". In order to insure a viable
user base, follow the same procedure as the the regular FreeBSD
questions list and allow postings sans any preregistration.

I belong to other forums where a similar technique is used to route
messages to the appropriate message board. I assume it is
technologically possible to implement that on FreeBSD. I know Linux and
Microsoft boards that employ that procedure. :)

--
Jerry