Ask stupid questions and you'll get a stupid answers, was: Technological advantages over Linux

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 14:18:40 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 10:08 AM Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 09:59:22 -0400
> Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just tried:
> >
> > sudo swapoff -a
>
>         If that workd you have enough RAM.
>
> > sudo swapon -a
> >
> > Result: Firefox froze up
>
>         Firefox is demanding memory, scads of it. There's your problem.

Just tried it again on the other offending programs (libreoffice after a
start of a copy/paste operation) and audio/deadbeef playing a 3 minute long
mp3 and the same result (each program froze and/or core dumped).  So we
come back to the original issue which is the only thing all the programs
have in common is they use 3rd party xorg libraries (gtk for example) and
that's their only commonality beyond all being developed on linux and being
GUI based.   Thus my original conclusion there is something very screwy
about the interface between FreeBSD and some aspects of X that is under the
hood to most users and needed for common apps.