Technological advantages over Linux

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sat Jul 25 14:14:43 UTC 2020

On 7/25/20 2:05 AM, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Valeri Galtsev wrote:

>>> Nope, just a plain ‘apt install gitlab-ce’ and ‘apt upgrade’ does the trick.

>>> Probably right. Don’t get me wrong: I like pkg, although it’s sometimes a pita when it comes to packages that come from ports, because of different options (like my postfix with mysql), and I have to lock the package.
>>>

>> As many others when not satisfied with pkg default built options, I use
>> poudriere, and have pkg get them from my poudriere repository. Examples:
>>
>> mailman (to use postfix, not sendmail)
>>
>> apache (to have LDAP authentication enabled)
>
> Have you been successful installing some selected packages from your
> own poudriere and others from pkg.freebsd.org?

Yes, that is the way poudriere is designed. I will not write detailed
instruction, just outline points. Poudriere repository is added to
/usr/local/etc/pkg/ropes/poudriere.con, and pkg queries that first, then
main pkg repository. Poudriere builds all packages that the one you need
with your own config depends on, so the will be added from poudriere
repo. When package that is not in poudriere repo is installed, it comes
from main repo, dependencies to be installed first queried poudriere,
then main repo. The only thing I can see may cause trouble is if you
switched OFF some settings for dependency pkg in poudriere, if you only
added enabled options, the package coming from poudriere should be good
as dependency for pkg installed from main repo.

> I tried several times and encountered problems with dependencies, so now
> I compile *all* packages in poudriere and use *only* my poudriere as a
> repo.

I have never had problem like that. At some point dependency in main
repo might change by pkg maintainer. E.g. openldap-client is replaced
with openldap-sasl-client. Then you will have to make sure the poudriere
repo requires the same dependency from that point on.

> Quite time-consuming I must say: I cannot make poudriere fetch some
> packages in binary form, I think there is no support for that. So I end
> up compiling llvm, go, rust and other heavy stuff by myself.

True, but I can not see how it can be different. Note, that you are
replacing a portion of (central) pkg build infrastructure. And it is
still time saving comparing to building from ports. You can use
poudriere built pkgs on multiple systems. Update using pkgs is faster,
helping you with maintenance window for a machine.

> If you have know-how about mixing repos, please share it.

I gave general view above (not trying to make it an instruction).

If I am wrong about something, I hope, experts will correct me.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago