Technological advantages over Linux

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Fri Jul 24 18:39:25 UTC 2020

On Jul 24, 2020, at 1:55 PM, freebsd at boosten.org wrote:

>> Are you running the "Omnibus" edition of GitLab under Linux?
>
> Nope, just a plain ‘apt install gitlab-ce’ and ‘apt upgrade’ does the trick.

I guess what I was trying unsuccessfully to say is that GitLab is probably a bad example as the standard/recommended install under Linux is the Omnibus edition (which has its own Chef recipes doing the heavy lifting w.r.t. application upgrades) whereas the FreeBSD version is what GitLab terms a "source" installation (requiring post-upgrade manual configuration).

If you are using the official GitLab package from GitLab Inc. then you are almost certainly using their Omnibus edition.  I had a quick look and couldn't find an official Debian GitLab CE package.  I found one in the Debian Sid contrib repository.  A more apples-to-apples comparison with FreeBSD's pkg would probably be to install upgrade that one.

TL;DR: The ease-of-use is due to GitLab's packaging in this case, not from Apt itself.

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: I used to run GitLab CE under Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi quite a while ago, but eventually switched to the FreeBSD version because GitLab's resource needs came to exceed that which could be provided by the Raspberry Pi.  I have to admit the install/upgrade experience of the Omnibus edition under Raspbian was sweeeeet.