Technological advantages over Linux

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Sat Jul 25 06:55:44 UTC 2020

Dear Paul,

You have intrigued me.

Paul Mather wrote:

> I also agree that this is a big disadvantage.  Whenever I make my
> donation to the FreeBSD Foundation, and they ask in the donation form
> for comments on what you want them to work/focus on in the future, I
> always put a plug in for a native bhyve driver for docker-machine.

What would be run by the docker-machine in bhyve?

> This would go some way to putting it on a par with Docker under macOS,
> which uses HyperKit to interface with the built-in hypervisor under
> macOS (which is based on bhyve).  MacOS is considered a "first class
> citizen" under the Docker ecosystem, or at least has great support via
> Docker Desktop.

What does MacOS run in its hypervisor by the docker-machine? Some linux
flavor? It does not have a native docker server, does it?

>   Last I looked, FreeBSD only supported VirtualBox with
> docker-machine.  It would be great to have native bhyve support.

I agree.

But I thought, perhaps with the Linux binary compatibility, we could
avoid running a Linux in bhyve?

Or can we convince Docker to start supporting jails (just a dream)?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/