Technological advantages over Linux

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Fri Jul 24 03:28:48 UTC 2020

Victor Sudakov wrote:

> Not to start a flame war. A purely technical question: what
> technological advantages does the modern FreeBSD have over modern Linux?

After gaining more experience using Debian systems for several months,
I've come across several technological disadvantages of FreeBSD as a
server (in no particular order):

1. Debian can run several versions of PHP, PostgreSQL and some other
software simultaneously (without manual efforts with jails, chroots
etc needed in FreeBSD for the same purpose). Just install the relevant
packages, very convenient.

2. FreeBSD instances on AWS do not detect added EBS volumes, a reboot is
required.

3. FreeBSD lacks a native docker (what prevents from fixing
sysutils/docker-freebsd?). FreeBSD already has a working Linux binary
compatibility, why can't we run Linux docker? A working docker could
also make problems with different versions of native PHP irrelevant.

4. Zabbix templates for monitoring FreeBSD are inferior to those for
Linux.

5. Zabbix agent2 (new generation of Zabbix agent) is not available for
FreeBSD.

6. FreeBSD/ARM64 does not enjoy binary upgrades (freebsd-update).

True, some of those disadvantages are fixable, but now the impression is
that FreeBSD is lagging behind. The only real advantage left could be
Root-on-ZFS and BE/bectl, but ironically it does not work in AWS (and
with UEFI boot in general) which makes it

7. Limited UEFI support.

8. bhyve is still inferior to kvm in many aspects (ever needed to add a
virtual disk to a running guest?).

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/