odd issue affecting firefox (any version) on freebsd (any version)

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Thu Jul 23 16:07:31 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 09:50:20AM +1000, Tim Preston wrote:
>I'm sorry to say I don't have any ideas, but don't give up because it does
>work for me.
>
>I'm a fastmail user and I exclusively use the web interface on 12.1 with
> Firefox (currently 78.0.2).

hmm, very puzzling this

The firefox on the desktop and on the remote vm is 79.0,1. The desktop runs
freebsd-12-stable r363045 and the remote vm runs -current r363183. The
12-stable firefox was built on poudriere-devel and the -current firefox was
installed via pkg from the current default catalogue.

The -current firefox has no addons installed at all and ff sync is not
enabled.

 From the -current machine I was able to telnet to an external mail host to
port 587 and I got the remote smtp banner.

The vm is hosted in another country, so I don't think it's my IP. fastmail.com
website works fine in iridium both local and remote. To load the site on the
remote vm, I ssh -Y -C remotevm and then firefox --no-remote --safe-mode
https://fastmail.com

wonder if i can run firefox with debugging, or will it be javascript
debugging. It's hard to debug without first knowing what is likely to say
"posting failed". a real chicken-and-egg thing.

I dunno which would be most useful, there are quite a few debugging options
but surely it is fastmail themselves who are saying "sending failed" ? In
which case firefox debugging would show nothing...

On top of that, all other fastmail.com website/webmail stuff works in either
firefox. It's just sending email that is broken.

arrrrggggg!

maybe it's my account?! lol
--
J.