Unmounting usb disk impossible

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Jul 22 18:59:21 UTC 2020

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 19:58:22 +0200, Morten Bo Johansen via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On 2020-07-22 Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
>
> > You did not write your mount statement .
>
> I don't know what it is. It is automounted
>
> > It seems that your umount statement is completely wrong .
>
> > https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=umount&sektion=8
> > umount
> >
> > You are saying that
> >
> > "Unmount ALL of the mounted files in "fstab" .
>
> No, that is not what I am saying. This is from man autofs:
>
>     To unmount all mounted autofs filesystems:
>
>            umount -At autofs
>
> That was my command. And as you can see, it actually tries to
> unmount the usb disk under /media - which is correct. It just
> fails with this "device busy" error. I need to find out which
> process is accessing the mount point.

This command interpretation is similarly listed in "man 1 umount",
i. e., "umount -a -t <type>". However, have you checked that
the filesystems beneath /media, mounted by automountd, are listed
in /etc/fstab? This is a required condition according to the
manual page.

In worst case, try to add the -f (force) option to umount.
You should then verify, at least for testing, that the filesystems
in question are consistent (use fsck accordingly).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany