FreeBSD (GhostBSD) Question?

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 17:58:53 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 7:45 PM Don Wilde <dwilde1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/22/20 8:22 AM, Paul Pathiakis via freebsd-questions wrote:
> >   Hi Lonnie,
> > GhostBSD is FreeBSD running a MATE Desktop.
> > Yes, it's incredibly stable.  Yes, it's well designed and implemented.
> Yes, as my 80+ y.o. mother-in-law will tell you, it's easy to use.  (I
> don't have to spend 1-3 hours removing malware, spyware and viruses on the
> Windoze desktop she used to have.  (She went from PC-BSD, to TrueOS to
> GhostBSD over the last 7 years....  and my life has been wonderful when
> visiting since.... :D )
> > SO... kudos to their team.  It prompts when it finds updates necessary
> and it's so very useful in finding, installing, removing software via their
> 'software station'.
> > Yes, I'm a big fan.
> > Paul
> >
> >      On Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 6:52:35 PM EDT, Lonnie Cumberland <
> lonnie at outstep.com> wrote:
> >
> >   Greeting All,
> >
> > Although I am committed to now taking the plunge and go all of the way
> with
> > the FreeBSD platform, I wanted to get a FreeBSD distro flavor that
> already
> > had a desktop and I could just install while I work on this current
> FreeBSD
> > related project that I am doing now.
> >
> > With that in mind, here is what I tried.
> >
> > 1. FreeBSD 12.1 (core iso) --- This one boos up great on my hardware but
> > seems like it will take a bit of work to get a graphical environment
> setup,
> > which I can do, but time is short right now.
> >
> > 2. FuryBSD --- This is supposed to basically be FreeBSD 12.1 with a
> > graphical environment already setup, but for some reason, bot the KDR and
> > XFCE (amd64) ISO's would not completely boot up and went to a blank
> screen.
> > I could not even login on a non-graphical console. Strange.
> >
> > 3. GhostBSD --- This one also seems like they took the FreeBSD 12.1 iso
> and
> > added a graphical frontend since I actually see it saying "Booting
> FreeBSD
> > 12.1" as it comes up.
> >
> > To my surprise, GhostBSD seems to come up nicely.
> >
> > My question to the mailing list is this. Is it accurate to say that
> > GhostBSD is just FreeBSD with a graphical environment added?
> >
> > I ask, because I want to stay with FreeBSD, but just do not want to spend
> > the time right now setting up the GUI and fine tuning, so I am taking the
> > lazy way for the time being and will come back at a later time to do a
> > fresh FreeBSD install from scratch.
> Okay, so I bit. Manish, I started using your 'mkdesktop', but I stopped.
> No matter what I do, it wants to give me all kinds of what the Doze
> world calls 'accessories'.
>
> GhostBSD seems to want to do the same thing. MATE is every bit as fat as
> Ubuntu! I want an intermediate step where I can choose what to add after
> the desktop is installed.

> [...]

Installation of FreeBSD desktop is not so difficult .

Assume that you have installed a FreeBSD iso .

Prepare a shell script on a medium suitable for you : NFS , CD , or USB
stick , etc .

In that script specify only parts you want to install  such as

pkg install Xorg
pkg install XFCE

( please write part names correctly )

Apply your script .

Whatever you want , they will be installed just as you want .

Obviously , you can use your script ( perhaps with updates , if required )
for your all other similar installs .

Difficult part is to set some parameters of installed parts . This requires
some knowledge .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk