Strange Error 5 on Real Hardware (Question)

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Sun Jul 19 13:20:48 UTC 2020

Hi All,

Hope that everyone is doing well today.

I have been building mfsBSD images for testing on real hardware and have
been using the FreeBSD RELEASE 12.1 iso to do it.  Now, I have a procedure
for building the base mfsBSD (90MB) and also the "mini" mfsBSD (27MB)
images. Working on adding packages and stuff next.

The real hardware is as older system that I have:

Test system:
HP Pavilion p7-1240 AMD A10-5700 3.4 GHz Quad Core Desktop

I also have a little bit stronger system

Dell PowerEdge C6220 SFF 4 Node Server 8x Xeon E5-2650 256GB RAM 4x 2TB
2.5" HD

for 2nd stage testing later once I can get things to work on the smaller
desktop

What seems to be strange here is that the FreeBSD disc1:

https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/ISO-IMAGES/12.1/FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso

boot up just fine on the Desktop and I do not have any problems, but when I
build the mfsBSD images which boot up fine on a Virtualbox VM that I
have running on Debian 10 right now, they do not boot up on the real
hardware and I get this strange "Error 5":

Error 5 Unretryable Error
Cddone Got back 0x5 back
Read(10) CDB
CAM Status SCSI Status Error
SCSI Status: Check Condition
SCSI Sense: Medium Error ASC 11,5

Maybe I need to add some kernel modules to the mfsBSD build, but I really
not sure as I am still pretty new to FreeBSD while migrating from the Linux
world more and more.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Lonnie