defaultrouter in rc.conf not working

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Sat Jul 18 20:51:40 UTC 2020

On 7/18/20 16:24, Christoph Harder wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I do have one net interface configured in rc.conf and I do have one defaultrouter="10.0.0.1" entry.
> But when booting the system I don't have a matching default route when I enter netstat -r, in fact I don't see any default route.
> However when I add the default route by hand using route add default 10.0.0.1 the route work.
>
> I checked the rc.conf for typos, but found none. Can you give me a hint what else might be the problem? Why is FreeBSD not creating the default route on start?

Show us!

At very, very minimum show us your rc.conf and netstat -r before and
after hand changes.

And maybe the FreeBSD version?

Please do keep in mind that your telling us "I checked rc.conf for typos
and there aren't any, but could you folks who aren't allowed to see
rc.conf tell me what's wrong with it" seems to be playing somewhat
unfair.  :-)

You're not mixing getting address from DHCP with setting a static
default route are you?   Probably not, but that's the kind of guessing
that I do when I can't see what you've done.

--
--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com