Freebsd running on used Rack server

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Wed Jul 15 11:00:44 UTC 2020

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 16:19:38 -0700
Martin Glazer <mglazer2014 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
> Just curious what used Rack server would you recommend? I like the Intel
> Xeon CPU

	I have a Supermicro chassis with dual E5620s and an eight bay 3.5"
SAS cage that's given me no trouble for the last two years, with 24GB of
ECC RAM and no drives it cost me £200 on eBay a couple of years ago.
A full set of 2TB 3.5" SAS drives cost about the same and have also
given no trouble. There's *way* too much CPU power for my needs even with
the drives encrypted but with half the cores turned off and the clock
throttled to minimum it runs reasonably quietly and keeps up with the load
handily.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>