Subject: Basic photo viewing/editing for Xfce?

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Sun Jan 12 13:38:14 UTC 2020

Chris Hill wrote:

> > > I am using xv since 1990 and think it's still the
> > > best for viewing and basic tasks.
> >
> > Oh, I forgot about xv. I did use it 20 years ago. Glad it's still there.
> > Thank you, I'll go with xv for editing, just have to hope it does not
> > corrupt more recent JPEGs.
>
> I've been using xv for many years, and I have never had a problem with it
> failing to read JPEGs.

It's not a failure to read that bothers me, it's the possibility of
corruption of some information in a JPEG (meta information, geoposition,
tags etc). If I touch an image with xv and it corrupts/removes the info
a modern JPEG contains, this will be unpleasant.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/