Getting around goofy package dependencies

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Jan 2 02:42:44 UTC 2020

In article <63076.1577929869 at segfault.tristatelogic.com> you write:
>Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
>FreeBSD repository is up to date.
>All repositories are up to date.
>The following 2 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):
>
>New packages to be INSTALLED:
>        p5-Net-IDN-Encode: 2.500
>        perl5.28: 5.28.2
>
>Number of packages to be installed: 2

Something strange is going on.  On one of my 12.1 systems, which should have the same
packages as 12.0, I have the default perl 5.30 and p5-Net-IDN-Encode installs and
uninstalls from pkg just fine.

Do you have other stuff that is downversion from the pkg defaults?  It
gets pretty unhappy when you don't have just the versions it expects.

As a workaround, try installing that perl module from ports and see if
it shows any other unexpected dependencies.