Technological advantages over Linux

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sun Feb 16 18:48:10 UTC 2020

> On Feb 16, 2020, at 11:55 AM, Ottavio Caruso via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 at 13:45, Michael Watters <wattersm at watters.ws> wrote:
>>
>> On 2/15/2020 3:33 AM, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>>> Quite so, FreeBSD has all the bits to do it and has had for some
>>> time, but nobody wanted a repository of pre-built jails enough to make one.
>>
>> Personally I find the idea of downloading and running random container
>> images from a 3rd party site to be kind of crazy.  You have no idea what
>> is inside those images until you run them.

I can see two opposite attitudes here locally. Being sysadmin I am 100% with Michael: I do not want/trust to run something created by somebody else and not necessarily thoroughly audited. I do feel fully responsible for whatever happens because of my actions/choices. So, I build BreeBSD jails, not even using ezjail, just “by the book”, and install/configure inside what is necessary.

Majority of scientists I work for here are more or less with Ottavio: they will run everything that they find lying there on the Internet what is said doing what they need done. And they are entitled to that attitude, in a sense that they have better things to do: their science, and spending time on anything else just steals time from doing science.

My apologies for this crude division, no offense intended.

Valeri

> I hate being the guy that defends Linux here, but, at least with
> Linuxcontainers.org, the images are built using publicly available
> scripts:
> https://github.com/lxc/lxc-ci
>
> Then one could build their own containers from a script. The images:
> https://us.images.linuxcontainers.org/images/
>
> can be used as jails or chroots, provided there is some level of
> binary compatibility. Major Linux distros offer their own
> docker/containers images.
>
> I wouldn't knock dockers/containers, granted that FreeBSD was there
> first with jails.
>
> --
> Ottavio Caruso

Valeri Galtsev