Technological advantages over Linux

Ottavio Caruso ottavio2006-usenet2012 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 16 17:55:50 UTC 2020

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 at 13:45, Michael Watters <wattersm at watters.ws> wrote:

> On 2/15/2020 3:33 AM, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> > Quite so, FreeBSD has all the bits to do it and has had for some
> > time, but nobody wanted a repository of pre-built jails enough to make one.
>
> Personally I find the idea of downloading and running random container
> images from a 3rd party site to be kind of crazy.  You have no idea what
> is inside those images until you run them.

I hate being the guy that defends Linux here, but, at least with
Linuxcontainers.org, the images are built using publicly available
scripts:
https://github.com/lxc/lxc-ci

Then one could build their own containers from a script. The images:
https://us.images.linuxcontainers.org/images/

can be used as jails or chroots, provided there is some level of
binary compatibility. Major Linux distros offer their own
docker/containers images.

I wouldn't knock dockers/containers, granted that FreeBSD was there
first with jails.

--
Ottavio Caruso