questions about swap (partition and file)

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Fri Feb 14 01:10:10 UTC 2020

On 13 Feb 2020, at 07:34, tech-lists <tech-lists at zyxst.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 06:03:26PM +0000, Ottavio Caruso via freebsd-questions wrote:
>>
>> It's usually not a good idea to have swap on a SSD.
>
> Why is this?
> For clarity, I mean a proper SSD not sdcard

Swap is written a lot and SSDs can fail faster if they are constantly being written to.

It’s not really that much of an issue with a modern SSD, but if you have a server that is really writing a lot to swap. Get more RAM and put swap on a rust drive.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Brain, but practicing docking procedures with a goat at