Aggregate interfaces do not come up at boot

Michael Watters wattersm at watters.ws
Tue Feb 4 00:54:35 UTC 2020

I'm attempting to set up an aggregated interface using LACP on FreeBSD
12.1 however the interface is not coming up at boot.  My rc.conf is set
as follows.

ifconfig_ql0="up polling"
ifconfig_ql1="up polling"
ifconfig_ql2="up polling"
ifconfig_ql3="up polling"
ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto lacp laggport ql0 laggport ql1 laggport ql2 laggport ql3 10.201.64.4/22"
defaultrouter="10.201.67.254"

After booting the server the lagg0 interface exists but the default gateway is not reachable.

lagg0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=507bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,LRO,VLAN_HWFILTER,VLAN_HWTSO>
        ether 34:80:0d:43:d4:ec
        inet 10.201.64.4 netmask 0xfffffc00 broadcast 10.201.67.255
        laggproto lacp lagghash l2,l3,l4
        laggport: ql0 flags=0<>
	laggport: ql1 flags=0<>
	laggport: ql2 flags=0<>
	laggport: ql3 flags=0<>
        groups: lagg
        media: Ethernet autoselect
        status: active
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

The only way I have been able to get lagg to work is by bringing down
the other three NICs which kind of defeats the purpose of having LACP.

Does anybody know what would cause this? I do see traffic on the
interface when running tcpdump.