Project information - SMBv2+

CerebrosuS CerebrosuS at gmx.net
Wed Dec 30 17:54:34 UTC 2020

Am 30.12.20 um 18:30 schrieb Dale Scott:
> [...]

The problem is using FreeBSD as an SMB client. SMBv1 is possible through
mount_smbfs. SMBv2+ is possible with gvfs and smbnetfs from fuse. SMBv1
has some bad security issues (thats' why everyone is switching to
SMBv2+) and MS Windows 10 switched to SMBv2+ meaning, SMBv1 is not
supported by default.

The fuse module is known be slow and unstable. I read the "unstable" and
"slow" argument for gvfs too, but have only tested the fuse module.
Third party packages are also problematic when using with /etc/fstab
(there seem to be some workarounds with extension scripts).

So to use freebsd as an SMB client would need to extend the mount_smbfs
module or invest time to speed up smbnetfs/gvfs to make it usable.

For an enterprise file server serving samba is no problem as far as I
know and as long as you don't need to mount SMB sources to serve the data.

Anyone might want to correct me, if my collected information are wrong. :-)