EFI, UEFI, PXE: FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso boot from SAN device failed, error 0x7f22208e

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Tue Dec 29 06:58:00 UTC 2020

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 10:42:11 +0700
Victor Sudakov <vas at sibptus.ru> wrote:
> Dave Hayes wrote:
> > > Was this happening over network (PXE boot) or from a physical medium
> > > like USB drive/CD-ROM ?
> >
> > Actually both. However, this thread implied that the mfsBSD/ramdisk
> > techniques did not work, and I wanted to provide a datapoint to the
> > contrary.
> >
> > We have one installation which gets the ISO image over FTP and boots from
> > that,
>
> Can you please elaborate on that? Is this installation using UEFI or
> legacy mode loader? What tools are used? pxelinux/memdisk or anything else?

This particular installation is a Dell DRAC that has the capability of booting
given an http url for a bootable iso. There actually is still some problem
booting the hybrid disk in BIOS mode, but UEFI works just fine. Highly
effective on an isolated network.

I don't think this is quite what you are after, though I could be mistaken.
I did try the PXEBOOT idea on the exact same hardware platform and
was unable to get it to work, back at FreeBSD 10->11.

> > but it's probably not grabbing two separate images using loader.efi like you
> > also suggest.
> Well, grabbing two separate images using loader.efi almost works...  Almost.

Do you know of any technical reading that can get one up to speed on the low
level details of UEFI booting and how it is different from BIOS? One problem in
debugging all these methods is the ever-present lack of documentation. :/
Dave Hayes - Consultant - LA CA, USA - dave at dream-tech.com

A man stopped Nasrudin and asked him what day of the week it
was.  "Couldn't tell you," said the Mulla. "I'm a stranger
in these parts. I don't know what days of the week they have
here."