Project information - SMBv2+

CerebrosuS CerebrosuS at gmx.net
Mon Dec 28 21:13:11 UTC 2020

Hello at all,

the community and developer at FreeBSD seem to know, that SMBv1 for
clients is nearly over and that the included mount_smbfs doesn't support
newer versions. So good, so far...

So I can find multiple information about the situation, but no clear
path on how FreeBSD community and developer will go on to solve this
missing function. (Just got the information on:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/MateuszPiotrowski/AccessingSmbSharesWithSambaClient)

This is what I am asking:
- Is there a project existing for solving this problem (with whatever
target)?
- What is the way to go in future? Extend mount_smbfs or support the
fuse-smbnetfs part to be stable and fast like mount_smbfs (buggy and
laggy here)?
- Who is mainly working on it, if a project already exist?

I'am just interested, cause of not finding such information clearly. Is
there maybe a general project management list / team to see what
projects are going on in whatever state?

I am a hobby developer mainly coming from chemical engineering side,
having some time to help. I've already written some cross platform
software but never related to network or on os-level. So I am motivated
to invest some time in getting stuff into FreeBSD, but for me, there is
a lack on information (see above).

Thank you in advance for information and help.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Christian Kr