effect of differing spindle speeds on prospective zfs vdevs

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Fri Dec 4 23:43:19 UTC 2020

Hi,

Normally when making an array, I'd like to use all disks all same speed,
interface, make and model but from different batches. In this case, I've no
choice, so we have multiple 1TB disks some 7.2k some 5.4k. I've not mixed
them like this before.

What effect would this have on the final array? Slower than if all one or the other?
No effect? I'm expecting the fastest access will be that of the slowest vdev.

Similarly some disks block size is 512b logical/512b physical, others are
512b logical/4096 physical, still others are 4096/4096. Any effect of
mixing hardware? I understand sfs sets its own blocksize.

thanks,
--
J.