Unbound

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 1 16:35:33 UTC 2020

On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 12:42:07 +0000
Arthur Chance wrote:

> > I'd be interested to know whether it does work because someone once
> > mentioned that local_unbound only supports forwarding, but I've
> > never found anything to back that up.
>
> From memory, if you've not set anything up the first time
> local_unbound runs it reads your /etc/resolv.conf to gather your
> resolvers and creates an unbound.conf that uses them for forwarding
> for all domains.

It set itself-up with google and opendns caches when I tried it.

> If you've set things up yourself it just runs with
> that, but take a look at /etc/rc.d/local_unbound to find out which
> file(s) it needs to see in order to avoid the default configuration
> process.

It's all gets tied-in to dnsconf and the various configuration files
come with warnings that they are autogenerated and could be
overwritten. I have no need for dnsconf, so I just installed the
package version which works recursively by default.

The question was more about whether the binary supports recursion.
As I said, someone on the list (from the project) said that it doesn't.
He may just have meant that they made it awkward to turn-off
forwarding, but there's clearly something built-out of the local
version:

$ du -k  /usr/sbin/local-unbound /usr/local/sbin/unbound
148	/usr/sbin/local-unbound
1024	/usr/local/sbin/unbound