Unbound

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Tue Dec 1 12:42:17 UTC 2020

On 30/11/2020 22:38, RW via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 22:21:49 +0100
> siefke_listen at web.de wrote:
>
>> I try to run local unbound.
>> I use root.hints, no need forwarding and not need remote control.
>>
>> After restart I become:
>>
>> Starting local_unbound.
>> Waiting for nameserver to start...[1606771048]
>> unbound-control[45916:0] warning: control-enable is 'no' in the
>> config file. [1606771048] unbound-control[45916:0] error: connect:
>> Connection refused for 127.0.0.1 port 8953 giving up
>
>> Is there a way to use it without control?
>
> Does local_unbound work though?
>
> Its rc.d script polls up to 5 times using unbound-control to check it's
> ready to accept queries. Those errors look cosmetic aside from causing a
> few seconds extra delay at start-up.
>
> I'd be interested to know whether it does work because someone once
> mentioned that local_unbound only supports forwarding, but I've never
> found anything to back that up.

>From memory, if you've not set anything up the first time local_unbound
runs it reads your /etc/resolv.conf to gather your resolvers and creates
an unbound.conf that uses them for forwarding for all domains. If you've
set things up yourself it just runs with that, but take a look at
/etc/rc.d/local_unbound to find out which file(s) it needs to see in
order to avoid the default configuration process.

--
The number of people predicting the demise of Moore's Law doubles
every 18 months.