(very OT) Ideal partition schemes (history of partitioning)

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 30 20:32:29 UTC 2020

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 08:58:48 +0200
Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> >And what if hard disk > 2 TB
>
> 2 TB aren't enough for several operating systems, at least when
> storing data on different devices?
> ...not many private persons really need to store more than 2 TB/disk.

External drives in the range 4TB - 8TB  are very popular these days
with the general public. Hard drives haven't kept up the increasing
size of video files. Personally I haven't bought a magnetic drive as
small as 2TB in over 10 years.

One thing that's going to complicate this is that manufactures have
been pushing shingling into consumer grade drives by stealth. It's now
the norm for 2TB drives.  They are OK for storing multimedia but not so
good for an OS.