diff is a little diff -- erent

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 06:58:28 UTC 2020

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 2:26 AM Bob Proulx <bob at proulx.com> wrote:

> Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> > The trouble is the following :
> >
> > A company is making investment to develop a software .
> > Assume It is based on FreeBSD . If that company uses FreeBSD , by the
> > effect of GPL parts , the company should also
> > supply sources of its own proprietary software  .
>
> Except that is not a requirement of the GPL.
>
> > This will destroy the competitive advantage of the company and waste
> > the investment on the software which is not an acceptable situation
> > . Trouble caused by GPL is about such cases .
>
> Except that is not a requirement of the GPL.
>
> This has been discussed many times so I don't think I will detail the
> arguments again.  But I feel compelled to say something here or people
> will read it and believe that it is true.
>
> You may ship your closed source proprietary program on a GPL licensed
> Linux kernel and mostly GPL licensed userland of commands without
> providing source for your propriety licensed program.  No problem.
>
> Bob

I think my explanations were not very clear .

There is NOT a rule in the GPL that  a GPL based operating system is not
allowed to run a
closed source software  as long as the closed source software does NOT use
a GPL licensed part .

The main point is that requirement .

GPL is so aggressive that ,  if a closed source software is forking a GPL
licensed part for its own operations , owner(s) of the GPL license are
saying that the forker software is DEPENDING ON a GPL licensed software ,
therefore it SHOULD also be an open source software .

It is necessary to study GPL license in sufficient detail with all of its
implications .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk