diff is a little diff -- erent

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sat Aug 29 23:26:35 UTC 2020

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> The trouble is the following :
>
> A company is making investment to develop a software .
> Assume It is based on FreeBSD . If that company uses FreeBSD , by the
> effect of GPL parts , the company should also
> supply sources of its own proprietary software  .

Except that is not a requirement of the GPL.

> This will destroy the competitive advantage of the company and waste
> the investment on the software which is not an acceptable situation
> . Trouble caused by GPL is about such cases .

Except that is not a requirement of the GPL.

This has been discussed many times so I don't think I will detail the
arguments again.  But I feel compelled to say something here or people
will read it and believe that it is true.

You may ship your closed source proprietary program on a GPL licensed
Linux kernel and mostly GPL licensed userland of commands without
providing source for your propriety licensed program.  No problem.

Bob