USB WiFi fob for FreeBSD

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Fri Aug 28 22:44:10 UTC 2020

> On 28 August 2020, at 15:14, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I will shortly receive a new laptop with a network card that is currently
> not supported by FreeBSD. Work is in progress  on a driver, but I will need
> to use the system very shortly after I receive it. So, I need a quick way
> to get it on-line and a USB fob looks like my best choice.
>
> Can someone recommend a cheap fob I can acquire quickly? My last attempt at
> this about a decade ago was not successful as the dongle I bought was a new
> revision with a different chip that was not supported.  I hope for better
> luck this time.

I have two Insignia USB NICs: models NS-PU98505 (USB 2.0) and NS-PU98635 (USB 3.0).  Both of them work fine on FBSD 12.1.  I don't have any older systems around to test with.  I used them for relatively light traffic although I did flood the network for a couple minutes once and noticed no issues.  Both were found at BestBuy.  I only needed USB 2.0, but they only had one of those so I had to get the USB 3.0 also.  Both came up immediately on plug-in as ue devices.

-- Doug