I wish I had wish

Christoph Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Sat Aug 22 06:21:06 UTC 2020

Excerpt from pkg info:

tcl-wrapper-1.1_3              Shell wrapper for tclsh (Tcl)
tcl85-8.5.19_3                 Tool Command Language
tcl86-8.6.10                   Tool Command Language
tcl87-8.7.a3_1                 Tool Command Language
tclX-8.4.1                     Extended TCL

tk86-8.6.10_1                  Graphical toolkit for Tcl

> Am 22.08.2020 um 08:02 schrieb Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de>:
>
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 20:22:51 +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>> Thanks. I installed bsvc from github, compiled and installed it.
>> When I then ran
>>
>> bsvc
>>
>> I got exec: wish not found
>>
>> Now I found that bsvc is part of the ports collection. So I did a
>> pkg install bsvc which automatically install tcl/tk (8.6 I believe).
>>
>> So far so good. wish isn’t there.
>>
>> Now when I start bsvc (via ssh -Y myfreebsdbox) I’m getting
>>
>> $ bsvc
>> X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
>>  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
>>  Serial number of failed request:  42
>>  Current serial number in output stream:  59
>> $
>>

>> But this message must be caused by my macOS server from which I’m
>> logged in into myfreebsdbox.
>
> Depending on which shell you're using, try command completition:
>
> 	% wish[TAB]

$
$ which wish
$

> It's quite possible that there really is no "wish" command, but
> a "wish<version>" command. When I try this in my experimental
> box (not really up to date), I get this:
>
> 	% wish8.6_
>
> So what you can do: Create a symlink to point to the versioned
> wish binary. On this particular machine, tcl86-8.6.10 and tk86-8.6.10_1
> have been installed to use with tkRunIt-0.94.1_2, whose executable
> scipt starts with this:
>

> 	#!/bin/sh
> 	# the next line restarts using /usr/local/bin/wish8.6 \
> 	                exec /usr/local/bin/wish8.6 "$0" "$@"
> 	#!/usr/local/bin//usr/local/bin/wish8.6
>
> As you can see, the version is explicitely named in the script,
> and it matches the binary installed by tk (which wish is a
> part of).

Thanks. wish8.6 is indeed there.
I could create a link to wish.

—