I wish I had wish

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Aug 22 06:02:18 UTC 2020

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 20:22:51 +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> Thanks. I installed bsvc from github, compiled and installed it.
> When I then ran
>
> bsvc
>
> I got exec: wish not found
>
> Now I found that bsvc is part of the ports collection. So I did a
> pkg install bsvc which automatically install tcl/tk (8.6 I believe).
>
> So far so good. wish isn’t there.
>
> Now when I start bsvc (via ssh -Y myfreebsdbox) I’m getting
>
> $ bsvc
> X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
>   Serial number of failed request:  42
> $
>

> But this message must be caused by my macOS server from which I’m
> logged in into myfreebsdbox.

Depending on which shell you're using, try command completition:

	% wish[TAB]

It's quite possible that there really is no "wish" command, but
a "wish<version>" command. When I try this in my experimental
box (not really up to date), I get this:

	% wish8.6_

So what you can do: Create a symlink to point to the versioned
wish binary. On this particular machine, tcl86-8.6.10 and tk86-8.6.10_1
have been installed to use with tkRunIt-0.94.1_2, whose executable
scipt starts with this:

	#!/bin/sh
	# the next line restarts using /usr/local/bin/wish8.6 \
	                exec /usr/local/bin/wish8.6 "$0" "$@"
	#!/usr/local/bin//usr/local/bin/wish8.6

As you can see, the version is explicitely named in the script,
and it matches the binary installed by tk (which wish is a
part of).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany