freebsd-update - Cannot identify running kernel

Doug Denault doug at safeport.com
Wed Aug 19 19:06:51 UTC 2020

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020, Allan Jude wrote:

> You likely want to migrate away from having a separate bootpool, as
> described here:
>
> https://ftfl.ca/blog/2016-09-17-zfs-fde-one-pool-conversion.html
>
> You can't really use boot environments with a separate boot pool. It was
> only necessary in the paste when the FreeBSD boot code did not support
> reading from encrypted disks.
>
> --
> Allan Jude

Ah thanks for the info. I've already left that configuration behind.
freebsd-update tossed in bootpool in the going back and forth I mentioned
earlier. I spent some time trying (without any success) to figure out how I
broke booting to single user mode. I've reinstalled from a REL 12.1 image.
It's time to do some actual work on this system. I found the 12.1 guided
install pretty logical. I will try to figure out later if one-size fits all
is the right way to go if one does not work for yahoo or netflix.

ZFS mastery is not as hard to read as the derivation of the universal
constant, but close enough :)

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com