upgrading to 4k video

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 14:54:18 UTC 2020

 I am looking for specific advice on the best migration path to move up to
4k video.  I have no problem with getting a new monitor and a new
nVidia-based graphics card.

I currently have an Acer E24Y monitor (24" max. resolution 1920x1080)
connected to a nVidia GT510 (max. resolution 1920x1080) via HDMI running on
a FreeBSD 12.1-pl8 machine.   The host hardware is a Ryzen 5 2600X running
on a MSI B450 Tomahawk (MS-7C02) with 24 GB of DDR-2667 RAM and a 1 TB SSD.

I am also using FreeBSD 12.1-pl8 with x11/xorg-1.20.8_3,1 and
x11/nvidia-driver-390-390.138, x11-wm/xfce4-4.14.5 installed.  Everything
works perfectly with the above hardware and OS/desktop config.  Everything
is the most recent updates available as of an hour or two ago.

Since I have had bad experiences in the past of  *SOME* people (most don't
do this) giving advice, on this list, that is worse than useless, please
note that I will ignore any answer that involves any of the following (any
other suggestion is more than welcome):

* Switching OS's (Linux will earn you negative points) or OS major versions
* Using something different from nVidia (which works just *FINE* despite
many false claims to the contrary).   The reason is I have used nothing but
nVidia on FreeBSD from 2001 on and I have heard far too many horror stories
on this list (and elsewhere) about graphics/drm-kmod (especially when
coupled with wayland).
* Switching desktop environments.   (Every other one is far too heavy
weight and has too many dependencies on underlying libraries that have
Linuxisms that are not transparently compatible with FreeBSD's kernel as it
currently is.   On the other hand, using a raw WM and building my own DIY
desktop environment is more work than I care to do.)
* Buying any additional hardware *BEYOND* a new nVidia-based card and a new
monitor (and any needed associated cables... note though I have a HDMI
switch for four machines and thus prefer not to add to the total count of
cables in the setup, although I will if I absolutely must)