5.25" Floppy disk drive not recognized

Thomas Mueller mueller6722 at twc.com
Sat Aug 15 08:23:28 UTC 2020

> I’m trying to access a 5.25“ floppy disk drive if anyone here knowing what a „floppy“ disk drive is. :)

> neither less or cat works. I cannot totally exclude that the media don’t fit.
> The ones in questions here are CP/M 68k format. They are DD-DT.

> But I won’t get at the problem over the weekend to eventually test other media from which I know they are definitely MSDOS.

> OTOH, dd normally used to work on this kind of devices, didn’t it?

> I’m getting doubts.

> The once was /dev/MAKEDEV for this.

There still is, in NetBSD and OpenBSD.

> Christoph

My first personal computer was with MS-DOS 4.01, which was a big improvement over MS-DOS 3.31.

So I never had CP/M in front of me.

Floppy-disk version of senile dementia did me in, computerwise.

First I would no longer be able to write to the diskette, much later I would not even be able to read the diskette.  Formatting would not help, besides destroying all the diskette's data.

I did, in the distant past, use dd successfully to write to 3.5" floppy disks.

I remember the days when FreeBSD installation sets came in chunks intended for dd to floppy disks (base.aa, base.ab, base.ac, ...), and I would not be able to get enough good floppies to do this successfully.

NetBSD didn't do that, and I was quite glad when FreeBSD quit that very inconvenient practice.

Any hope of recovering some of your floppy data with ddrescue?  I once used that on a WD Green 3 TB hard drive, rescued most but not all of the data.

Tom