5.25" Floppy disk drive not recognized

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Aug 14 20:40:50 UTC 2020

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 22:28:02 +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> Ah, I see what you mean. :) floppy drive in FreeBSD.
>
> There is fdc(4) and fdccontrol and I read about devices
> (as I recalled myself) named /dev/fdX.NNNN.

Those were Linux-specific; /dev/fd0.h1440 was a typical entry
for the "A: drive". :-)

> Could be kind of tricky to figure that out. ARe these device nodes
> to be generated by fdcontrol?

No, the existing device node /dev/fd0 can be configured
using fdcontrol, especially the -s flag is to be mentioned.
It's just important that the setting applies to something
the controller and the drive can actually implement (like
an FM-encoded disk in a MFM-only capable drive).

The EXAMPLES section of "man fdcontrol" has a nice summary.

> The once was /dev/MAKEDEV for this.

FreeBSD since... I think somewhere in v5... started generating
device nodes dynamically, so MAKEDEV is no longer needed.

> I’ll be two days off net now. See you on Monday.

Have a nice weekend!

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany