Wayland on FreeBSD

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 08:14:14 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 3:54 AM Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 03:44:17 -0400
> Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > TL;dr; due to a royal F'up in basic storage system architecture Linux is
> > unusable outside of data centers for any sort of cloud computing whereas
> > FreeBSD doesn't even blink an eye in such environments.   So you tell me
> > which one is more modern and useful?
>
>         Linux supports NFS (since forever) and FreeBSD supports iSCSI
> (since 10.0) - the problem you describe is very real but it isn't a
> Linux/FreeBSD issue but what seems to be a very inappropriate use of iSCSI.

Linux had iSCSI before FreeBSD (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISCSI#Operating_systems) did and from the get
go there was huge pressure to use it instead of NFS because like everything
else in Linux iSCSI was newer, shinier and faster then NFS (not stopping to
see that any performance gain would be eaten up by any network having
smaller bandwidth than local I/O devices, even slow ones like traditional
drives).    FreeBSD never stopped recommending NFS as the preferred network
storage method.

>         For the record iSCSI originated with Cisco and IBM not Linux.

Never said that Linux invented it I only said it was a Linux feature (and,
by all accounts I have seen, the preferred Linux network storage method)