Wayland on FreeBSD

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Wed Apr 22 06:00:41 UTC 2020

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 22:32:43 -0400
"Kevin P. Neal" <kpn at neutralgood.org> wrote:

> I thought I read that Wayland considers access over the network to be a
> solved problem without having to build it into the lowest levels of the
> graphics stack. Remote Desktop, VNC, etc., all give network access.

	To a desktop not to an application.

> What
> you miss is intermingling of windows from several machines. But is that
> such a common use case that it should be designed for from the start?

	I use it often enough that I'd miss it, the authors of ssh found it
useful enough to add ssh -X and ssh -Y to support using it. So yes I think
there's common use of it. It seems there's a waypipe that can achieve this
for Wayland, one day if tuits appear I might get round to trying it.

> Oh, and is XWayland still a thing? Or the other way around?

	Yes to both, Xwayland is still a thing and run by default and you
can run Wayland as an X client.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>