Wayland on FreeBSD

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Wed Apr 22 03:26:58 UTC 2020

Kevin P. Neal writes:

>  On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 01:30:07PM -0400, Robert Huff wrote:

>  > 	Also: if I understand the conversation, Wayland works OK when
>  > client and server are the same machine, but not over a network?
>
>  I thought I read that Wayland considers access over the network to be a
>  solved problem without having to build it into the lowest levels of the
>  graphics stack. Remote Desktop, VNC, etc., all give network access. What
>  you miss is intermingling of windows from several machines. But is that
>  such a common use case that it should be designed for from the start?

	Define "common".  :-)
	I can bear witness to having done so (using X) multiple times
over a 30 year career.  In no case was it the only possible solution;
in several it was clearly superior to the alternatives.  That various
major players implement and actively maintain some version suggests the
concept is valuable.
	Anyone else?

			Respectfully,

				Robert Huff