freebsd should be rewritten based on microkernel architecture

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 05:49:50 UTC 2020

Top posting because one comment covers the entire range of issue you raised
in a one size fits all manner.   According to a interview with FSF's lead
council (https://lwn.net/Articles/61292/) he makes the following claims:

1. Because GPL is it self GPL'ed (yes recursive licensing) it gives FSF
standing in any and all cases involving GPL regardless of copyright
holder.   The details have to deal with the fact that GPL is not just a
copyrighted document but an (recursively) enforceable license

2. It is a license *NOT* a contract (specifically because the user gives no
consideration and signs nothing)

3. Due to it being a copyright infringement (and perhaps patent issues but
since GPL does not forbid the use of trademarks no other IP is involved)
the jurisdiction is federal and federal only

The one district court discussed below doesn't agree but no other court has
weighed in one way or the other.