GPL, not freebsd should be rewritten based on microkernel architecture

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Apr 20 01:17:44 UTC 2020

In article <CAGBxaX=4=yx-xSo0gdsVgAoA7fUn8oRq3173covquHNw61kBJQ at mail.gmail.com> you write:
>Thus I suspect if push came to shove in a legal fight about the legality of
>GPL forcing third parties that just happen to use a GPL'ed project to give
>up all claims over how their work is used would likely unconstitutional.

I'd suggest not playing junior lawyer.  The GPL is a contract and
there have been successful cases to enforce it.  Nobody has any
inherent right to use GPL'ed software (or any other software not
released into the public domain) so if you don't like the terms, don't
use it.

I am not crazy about the GPL and one of the things I like about
FreeBSD is that most of it has much more reasonable licenses.

R's,
John