Touchpad stopped working after pgk upgrade

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Apr 13 10:50:52 UTC 2020

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 11:05:06 +0200, Morten Bo Johansen via freebsd-questions wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm rather new to Freebsd and yesterday I did a "pkg upgrade"
> after which the touchpad on my Lenovo R61 is no longer
> responsive.

Sidenote: I also have (and use) a Lenovo Thinpad R61i, but
I intendedly deactivated the touchpad in the BIOS and use
the TrackPoint ("nub") instead. But before I did so, I know
that both "nub" and touchpad seem to work "in parallel",
i. e., they are "the same device".

> There is also some oddities with my keyboard such
> as the arrow up key not working anymore.
>
> - Running xev shows no reaction when touching the touchpad.
> - Xorg.0.log shows no errors or warnings.
> - moused is running as I can plug in a USB mouse and have it
>   working.
>
> I unplugged the usb mouse and ran the command:
>
>   $ sudo /usr/sbin/moused -p /dev/sysmouse -t auto
>
> as I surmise that /dev/sysmouse refers to the touchpad(?)
> but moused responds with
>
>   moused: unable to get status of mouse fd: inappropiate ioctl
>   for device

That is the expected result; /dev/sysmouse is a "X thing",
while moused needs a device to be specified with the -p
switch, such as /dev/psm0 (PS/2 mouse), /dev/ums0 (USB
mouse), or /dev/cuaa0 (serial mouse).

In case of the R61, /dev/psm0 should be correct. The
corresponding settings for /etc/rc.conf are:

	moused_enable="YES"
	moused_port="/dev/psm0"
	moused_type="auto"

However, if you plug in a USB mouse, devd will run moused
with the appropriate device name (see above) automatically,
so there's nothing you need to do. Furthermore, I don't
think you need to deal with moused at all when you intend
to use X (and not bother using the dysfunctional vt-based
console mode).

> The output from Xorg -version:
>
>    X.Org X Server 1.20.8
>    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
>    Build Operating System: FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p3 amd64
>    Current Operating System: FreeBSD mathilde.mbjnet.dk 12.1-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p3 GENERIC amd64
>    Build Date: 02 April 2020  10:19:53AM
>
>    Current version of pixman: 0.38.4
>    	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
>    	to make sure that you have the latest version.

Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for "mouse"-related lines. There
should be a successful LoadModule entry along with some
settings for the mouse; here you'll also find "sysmouse"
mentioned.

> The output from uname -mrs:
>
>    FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p3 amd64
>
> My desktop system is xfce4, version 4.14.
>
> About 200 packages were upgraded and I'd love to supply a list
> but I don't know where the log for this is kept(?)

With "pkg info", you can get a list of all packages that
are currently installed.

> Anyone to help me getting my touchpad back?

Good question. ;-)

As you said you're using Xfce, there's probably HAL and DBus
involved, and maybe some configuration file buried within
the /usr/local subtree, filled with XML garbage, that has
been altered by an update...

As you said, you updated a working installation. Maybe this
is due to X having had some changes in the required packages,
so your X installation is now missing something that's needed
to address the mouse? Is xf86-input-mouse present? I cannot
imagine the touchpad requiring anything further (as I have no
longer-time record of using it), but maybe deleting and then
re-installing X would help? However, even with an update, any
"now missing" packages should have been installed, so...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany