FreeBSD asking contributors to fix their opinions - is it official?

David Demelier markand at malikania.fr
Wed Apr 1 12:25:32 UTC 2020

Le 21/03/2020 à 13:26, Marc Lehmann a écrit :
> Hi!
>
> This is a request to clarify official policy of the FreeBSD project with
> regards to regulating opinions - if this list is not the right list to
> ask this question, I would be extremely happy if people could direct me
> ot a more appropriate forum - I didn't find anything that seemed more
> appropriate, so I am posting to this list. Apologies if this was wrong.
>
> Moving along, today, I received a mail[1] by some adamw at freebsd.org,
> asking me to remove what "FreeBSD" perceives to be personal opinions from
> my perl module, Canary::Stability[2].
>
> His mail is a bit hard to read, as it makes many claims and practically
> gives no evidence for them (and most are hard to believe for me, tpo be
> honest). The only remotely actionably thing seesm to be that I really need
> to remove these personal opinions.
>
> Since he writes as "@freebsd.org" and he claims that...
>
>     I'd like to strongly urge you to retire Canary::Stability. [...]
>
>     FreeBSD has had to go to lengths to fix Canary::Stability. If you
>     really are married to the module, can you please [...] remove the
>     personal opinions?
>
> If I read this correctly, he is acting in a capacity officially
> representing FreeBSD in that matter and seems to indicate that the FreeBSD
> project needs to police what it perceives as personal opinions. In fact,
> it seems to be the most urgent and pressing matter, as nothing else of
> substance was written.

I personally think that personal opinions should not be present in any
software (even outside FreeBSD). Code should not express personal
opinions since not all people share the same and I don't want to be
associated with those.

I personally dislike python, ruby but I keep this for me whenever I see
some problems with software I use that are written in those and do the
same when I send patch about it.

That said, I'm not sure if there is any policy towards this issue, but
I'd love to see that FreeBSD should be unopinionated development.

My $0.02.

--
David