webcamd, IPEVO-Inc--IPEVO-Ziggi-HD-Plus -S unknown -M 0

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Oct 11 00:44:20 UTC 2019

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 10:30:47 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> root at aceraspire:~ # service devd restart && webcamd -d ugen4.3 -v 0 &
> [2] 2139
> root at aceraspire:~ # Stopping devd.
> Waiting for PIDS: 1929.
> Starting devd.
> Webcamd is already running for ugen4.3.0
>
> when I try to run cheese first it got that no devices found, then I get that
> ``There was an error playing video from the webcam''

Do you have webcamd entries in /etc/rc.conf?

I had a comparable problem on FreeBSD 12.0-p10 where webcamd
would not be started (and therefore not stopped or restarted)
even though I had placed

	webcamd_enable="YES"
	webcamd_flags="-d ugen3.2 -i 0 -v 0"

into /etc/rc.conf. I now start it "manually" via /etc/rc.local:

	/usr/local/sbin/webcamd -d ugen3.2 -i 0 -v 0 &

Now it works. :-)

> Is there a way to get this to work?  I have changed
> cuse4bsd_load="YES" and changed to
> cuse_load="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and have looked at what was
> recommended in the threads and it does not work.

The entry

	cuse_load="YES"

belongs to /boot/loader.conf, _not_ to /etc/rc.conf, according
to the documentation. Verify it has been loaded with "kldstat".

I don't know if the package "cuse4bsd-kmod" has to be installed
or not - in my case, it isn't. Maybe this just applies to older
FreeBSD versions...

> How can I get it to work?  I appreciate your help/suggestions.

For refereence:

	# webcamd -l
	Available device(s):
	[...]
	webcamd [-d ugen3.2]
		-N GenesysLogic-Technology-Co---Ltd--HP-Webcam-101
		-S unknown
		-M 0

This is a built-in webcam.

I added my username per /etc/group to the "webcamd" group. I
did not add any further permissions or device configurations.

For testing, install the "pwcview" package and start webcamd
manually as shown above. If the instance is running, /dev/video0
(and maybe more) should be present. With no further options, run

	% pwcview

as a user, it should detect the appropriate video device on
its own; if it doesn't ("problem of multiple inputs"), you can
specify one:

	% pwcview -d /dev/video0

Usually the 1st one (here: 0) should work.

So if _that_ works, any other program should work as well.

See "man webcamd" and "man pwcview" for details. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany