Intermittent connectivity loss with em(4)

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Mon Oct 7 03:55:59 UTC 2019

Forgot to include, I use a lot of bge devices and some rl.  However, I just discovered one of the remote client's computers has 2 em nics.  I am running the ping test now on it.  I did find the following in messages:

 zgrep em /var/log/messages*
/var/log/messages.6.gz:Sep 29 15:22:33 brain kernel: em0: link state changed to DOWN
/var/log/messages.6.gz:Sep 29 17:08:14 brain kernel: em0: link state changed to UP
/var/log/messages.6.gz:Sep 29 17:09:46 brain kernel: em0: link state changed to DOWN
/var/log/messages.6.gz:Sep 29 17:09:49 brain kernel: em0: link state changed to UP

The first outage was a complete outage to that site.  I don't know what caused it or how it got resolved.  I never noticed the second one.

The client has not been really thrilled with this machine.  He had a much better one, but it was too noisy and replaced it.

Yet another idea:  get mtr "my trace route".  package mtr-nox11 and use it to go to google.  It is traceroute and ping combined.  You can use -i 60 with it also.

-- Doug