12.1-STABLE r354923 snapshot install doesn't like manual ufs setup

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Nov 27 19:05:31 UTC 2019

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 16:36:33 +0000, tech-lists wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 05:10:26PM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
>
> >Yes, there are several things you can do to optimize for SSD use.
> >Part of it is custom newfs options, but if I remember correctly,
> >bsdinstall doesn't allow you to add those - you'll need to use
> >the shell to run newfs with the desired options manually, at least
> >that's what I tend to do. :-)
>
> Trim is selectable under [selected partition] -> options of the manual ufs
> partitioning section of bsdinstall in the r354923 snapshot I used.

Well, that is correct, but there may be other options you _might_
want to customize for a SSD - with no dialog equivalent in bsdinstall,
in this case, stuff listed in "man newfs".

> Regardless, my basic tenet still stands. If it's there as an option, it should
> work. I think it's reasonable to think having it there and not work is broken
> by most people's definition.

Yes, I fully agree with this reasoning. It's a good help, but it
should not be _required_ to get something standard working. The
only thing I could imagine in your situation is that you somehow
(and I have absolutely no idea _how_ this could be possible) that
you forgot some step during installation definition. It's typical
for the installation process to overwrite anything it finds on the
disk, so if a normal way of booting (here: MBR standard boot record
for first slice, "a" partition) has been selected, all the required
parts should be there. Of course the kernel also should have been
placed into /boot (on the / partition where the process mentioned
above will lead to).

> The fact that there's an alternative manual way
> is good, but immaterial in the context. Having it there and not work is not a
> good look for what could be a users first encounter with FreeBSD, nevermind
> someone like myself who has been using FreeBSD for over two decades.

Definitely true. This will probably require some further testing
and exact monitoring of the steps you do. If it is a problem in
12.1-STABLE, it's surely due to a fix.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany