12.1-STABLE r354923 snapshot install doesn't like manual ufs setup

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Wed Nov 27 16:37:05 UTC 2019

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 05:10:26PM +0100, Polytropon wrote:

>Yes, there are several things you can do to optimize for SSD use.
>Part of it is custom newfs options, but if I remember correctly,
>bsdinstall doesn't allow you to add those - you'll need to use
>the shell to run newfs with the desired options manually, at least
>that's what I tend to do. :-)

Trim is selectable under [selected partition] -> options of the manual ufs
partitioning section of bsdinstall in the r354923 snapshot I used.

Regardless, my basic tenet still stands. If it's there as an option, it should
work. I think it's reasonable to think having it there and not work is broken
by most people's definition. The fact that there's an alternative manual way
is good, but immaterial in the context. Having it there and not work is not a
good look for what could be a users first encounter with FreeBSD, nevermind
someone like myself who has been using FreeBSD for over two decades.

thanks,
--
J.