consequences with pkgs of freebsd-update upgrade?

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Sun Nov 17 14:23:59 UTC 2019

Hello Matthew,

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 09:02:50AM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:

>The actual requirements on your poudriere machine are:
>
>   * Same major version as the clients you want to support
>   * A supported version of the OS
>   * Not newer than any of the clients.
>
>Thus a 12.0 poudriere machine can be used to maintain packages on a mix
>of 12.0, 12.1 and 12-STABLE machines.  However for the 11.x branch,
>you'ld need to be running at lease 11.3-RELEASE in your poudriere
>builder, due to recent changes in the versions supported by the ports.
>
>If you follow these rules you will be able to build and successfully
>serve pkgs of the vast majority of the available ports.  There are a few
>exceptions though.  These are certain loadable kernel modules, which
>need to be compiled against the same kernel version as you are running
>-- or at least a kernel with the same KBI version.

ok I understand, the KBI needs to remain the same. The context for this is
building nvidia-driver.

How does one show the KBI of a running system?  freebsd-version -kru doesn't
show it [1].

I can obtain it from a poudriere host for its jails by running
poudriere jail -l

Is poudriere-devel smart enough to use the PORTS_MODULES=x11/nvidia-driver
statement if I define this in the src.conf for that particular build jail?

thanks,

[1] I understand KBI to look like this: 1201000 - is this correct?
--
J.