consequences with pkgs of freebsd-update upgrade?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 17 09:03:23 UTC 2019

On 16/11/2019 18:31, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> yes to everything. Basically, you first need to upgrade poudriere
> machine to the latest base system using freebsd-update, and upgrade all
> packages on it (poudriere being one of them). Then rebuild all packages
> you maintain using poudriere. Then upgrade the other system, and
> re-install all packages on it.
>
> Experts will chime in if I’m missing something.

Actually, for the most part, this isn't true.  Your poudriere build box
does not have to exactly match the installed version(s) of your client
machines.

The actual requirements on your poudriere machine are:

   * Same major version as the clients you want to support
   * A supported version of the OS
   * Not newer than any of the clients.

Thus a 12.0 poudriere machine can be used to maintain packages on a mix
of 12.0, 12.1 and 12-STABLE machines.  However for the 11.x branch,
you'ld need to be running at lease 11.3-RELEASE in your poudriere
builder, due to recent changes in the versions supported by the ports.

If you follow these rules you will be able to build and successfully
serve pkgs of the vast majority of the available ports.  There are a few
exceptions though.  These are certain loadable kernel modules, which
need to be compiled against the same kernel version as you are running
-- or at least a kernel with the same KBI version.

	Cheers,

	Matthew