Help wanted: Install of p5-JSON-Parse removes Perl ???

Ireneusz Pluta ipluta at wp.pl
Fri Nov 1 18:55:12 UTC 2019

W dniu 2019-11-01 o 17:52, John Levine pisze:
> In article <0d1e31bd-bd45-090f-9fc7-2f3efa3013f7 at wp.pl> you write:
>> W dniu 2019-11-01 o 04:07, Ronald F. Guilmette pisze:
>>> I have work
>>> to do and now my Perl interpreter has disappeared.  Was it somehow my
>>> fault?  Was I bad?  I have tried to lead a good life, up until now anyway.
>>> I have been kind to animals and small children.  So what have I done wrong
>>> that has caused my Perl interpreter to be disappeared on me for no
>>> apparently good reason?
>> If you really depend on Perl, don't use the "system" one, that is likely to be messed up with the
>> pkg dependency hell.
>>
>> Use your own perl. Consider https://perlbrew.pl/ for managing it.
> I would not recommend that.  In my experience, so long as you do a pkg
> upgrade every few weeks your perl packages will be fine.  A lot of
> stuff in the ports tree depends on perl and they have a strong
> incentive to be sure that it works.
>
> If you've installed perl modules through CPAN rather than through
> ports, it's up to you to remember and reinstall when the version of
> perl changes but there's not much you can do about that.  I have about
> 200 modules installed as packages and one or two from CPAN.

pkg perl is for packages which depend on pkg perl. When I maintain my own production environment
built on Perl, my goal is to keep it stable and running, not finding some morning I am out of
businees, just because some genius pkg maintainer finds that a new shiny perl 5.32.0 is out and
(s)he blindly rasies her/his pkg perl requirement to that version, not even thinking if such a high
requirement is really nescessary.