Blogging software recommendations?

Carmel NY carmel_ny at outlook.com
Sun May 12 11:58:54 UTC 2019

On Sat, 11 May 2019 12:12:48 -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette stated:

>I hope this question isn't too far off-topic.
>
>I'd just like to ask if anyone would like to recommend to me any of the
>various specific blogging packages that are available as either ports
>or packages for FreeBSD.   I've never used any of them myself, but
>I have a very deep desire to begin doing so.  I just don't have any
>idea what the specific pros and cons of any of them are, and thus
>would apperciate some advice and opinions.
>
>I don't have a lot in the way of specific requirements.  I'm assuming
>that pretty much all of them will have an HTTP interface which supports
>a WYSIWYG kind of editing, including the ability to select text fonts,
>styles (e.g. bold, italics), colors, and embedded links to both local
>and remote additional content, such as image files, video files, etc.
>I will definitely need all of that.
>
>Also, having tried, briefly, to use Google's free blogging platform in
>the past, I already know that I'd like to have more and easier control
>over page layout, in particular the size and placement of images along
>with the text.
>
>The only other feature I really need is the ability to allow some
>select set of people, e.g. proofreaders, to preview individual blog
>posts prior to them going "live", but my guess is that my knowledge of
>ordinary UNIX and Apache adnministration should allow me to accomplish
>this with any of the available blogging packages, and to do so in a
>manner that is entirely independent of the packages themselves.
>Still, it would be helpful if I could find a blogging software package
>that already has support for password-controlled previews of
>individual not-yet-live blog posts pre-integrated, right out of the
>box.
>
>Thanks, and I look forward to any & all replies.
>

>Regards,
>rfg
>

>P.S.  Actually, I would be more than happy to use one of the
>pre-existing online blogging platforms, sucgh as the Google one, but
>again, I need something that wll allow me to give just some specific
>people a "preview" view of individual blog posts before they go live,
>and I never managed to figure out how to do that with the Google
>blogging stuff.
>
>Also, of course, I worry about things like security and the ability to
>easily make backups.  For years I've heard security horror stories
>involving Wordpress, so that one is probably going to be last on my
>list for consideration, behind all of the others.

I use Joomla myself. You can configure it to only allow certain users
access, etcetera. Install it from ports to insure all the dependencies
are installed correctly. Configure it, apache and MySQL as required.
Make sure it works correctly, then uninstall it. Now, download it from
the Joomla site and install it again. Your settings will still be there
in Apache and MySQL. It is MUCH easier to keep the program up to date
and install extensions directly than by trying to use the ports system.

--
Carmel